Partner, Assurance Services
"I'm an entrepreneurial person who enjoys developing and constantly improving things and helping clients do the same. So I’m glad to be with a firm that allows its professionals the freedom to identify a client need and take steps to meet it, or to see an opportunity to make things better and to help that happen. I believe in not just doing what needs to be done the way it’s always been done, but in making things the best they can be."
Experience and Expertise
Before joining GALLINA in 2002, Crystal worked for five years as the controller of a privately held sales and distribution company. At GALLINA she has been instrumental in building the firm’s employee benefit audit practice, which she now leads. Crystal also provides tax and assurance services to clients in a number of industries, including construction, real estate and multifamily housing. In addition to her responsibilities at GALLINA, she also teaches graduate level accounting courses at the University of California at Davis and California State University Sacramento.
Besides a thorough knowledge of audit requirements and procedures, Crystal’s strengths include a passion for going beyond compliance to come up with ideas for improving the businesses of the clients she serves. She is adept at devising solutions to difficult problems and in helping clients get things done so audit engagements stay on track. She also has an incredible network of professional contacts she can refer clients to for the other services or resources they may need.
Crystal is a frequent speaker at national level industry conferences and presents an annual seminar series on best practices and current topics related to employee benefit plans. Crystal is also co-author of Knowledge Based Audits of Employee Benefit Plans, a Wolters-Kluwer publication and has written articles for a variety of industry publications.
Crystal believes in treating clients like valued customers. For her, this means taking an active interest in each client’s business, listening and spending time with them, thanking them for their business, and developing a relationship that doesn’t just endure, but also adds value. To this end, Crystal goes out of her way to answer clients’ questions, give frank opinions, and proactively look for ways to benefit them. Also, she never treats an audit as simply a compliance task, but as an opportunity to identify ways to do things better.
- The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), member
- California Society of Certified Public Accountants (CalCPA), member
- The National Institute of Pension Administrators (NIPA), board member
- Western Pension & Benefits Council, board member
- CSUS College of Business Advisory Council, member
- University Enterprises, Inc. (auxiliary organization of CSUS), board member
- Sacramento Construction Management Education Foundation, board member
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Sacramento, board member
- B.A. from California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- MBA and Master of Accountancy degrees from CSU Sacramento
- Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS) designation from the International Foundation of Employee
- Benefit Plans and the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
- Accredited Investment Fiduciary (AIF) designation from the Center for Fiduciary Studies
- Traveling abroad with her husband — has visited interesting and remote parts of the world including all seven continents.
- Volunteering for international organizations serving children and the needy.