“It is a thrill to help clients achieve their goals, either through thoughtful business and tax planning or the application of our firm’s specialized skills.”
Experience and Expertise
Eldon has more than 35 years of tax and accounting experience with special emphasis in construction and related industries. With his advanced accounting and tax law experience, Eldon’s well-rounded background enables him to help clients who face challenging business, accounting, tax, and financial challenges and opportunities.
After eight years of Big Eight national public accounting firm experience, Eldon left work as the tax director for a large, privately-held construction contractor with multiple businesses. During this period, Eldon found time to attend law school at night, earn his law degree, and pass the Washington and Oregon State Bars. Although Eldon does not practice law, he is currently licensed to practice law in both Washington and Oregon.
Eldon found he missed working with small- to medium-sized enterprises so much that he returned to public accounting in 1988. His firm merged with Kirk Merrill’s firm in 2000 with the objective of developing a larger local firm with the resources and personnel to support his growing practice.
In addition to general business and tax consulting and planning for individuals, closely held corporations (“S” and “C”), partnerships and limited liability companies, Eldon’s experience includes:
- Structuring business and real estate purchases and sales to minimize related taxes;
- Assisting business owners in the design of succession plans;
- Successfully representing businesses and individuals in IRS tax audits and before the Appeals Division of the IRS;
- Aiding clients in avoiding income taxation on sales of real estate through like kind exchanges and property condemnations; and
- Obtaining prior year income tax refunds from amending tax returns to maximize all deductions for depletion of minerals, including sand and gravel.
Eldon believes it is extremely important to understand his clients’ immediate needs and their goals for the future, thereby ensuring that his proposed solutions actually achieve his clients’ objectives.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), member
- Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants (WACPA), member
- Washington and Oregon State Bar Associations, member
- Certified Construction Industry Financial Professional (CCIFP), member
- Construction Financial Managers Association (CFMA), member
- Surety Association of Washington (SAW), member
- Masters of Laws in Taxation (LLM) from the University of Florida College of Law
- Law Degree (JD) from the Lewis and Clark Law School
- Bachelors of Business Administration with an emphasis in Accounting from Idaho State University
- Spending time with lovely wife, three daughters, and eight grandchildren
- Avid sports fan
- Playing golf