"I like to say, 'you talk, I will listen.' As your CPA, I want to deeply understand the challenges, opportunities, and goals of the business owners I work with in order to develop solutions together. My goal is to make a difference."
Experience and Expertise
Kirk joined Arthur Andersen & Company in January 1980 and provided tax and management consulting services to clients in real estate development, forest products, banking, insurance, public utilities (telecommunications, electric and natural gas utilities), and multi-national companies with international activities and cross-border transactions. While at Arthur Andersen, he was involved in several consulting engagements regarding the effects of deregulation on the telecommunications industry (the AT&T divestiture in 1984) and teamed with SRI (Stanford Research, Inc.) Consulting Group to evaluate the effects of technology on the deregulation of the telecommunications industry.
In 1987, he left Arthur Andersen to focus on applying the management and tax planning techniques used by large multi-national firms to smaller companies and formed his own accounting and consulting firm in Renton, Washington.
Kirk has specific expertise in structuring corporations and partnerships from the startup phase to maturity so they achieve operational effectiveness and tax savings. He has consulted with health care professional service entities to structure profit sharing agreements between owners to achieve strategic, operational and behavioral objectives. Kirk has also worked with businesses to analyze the true profitability of product or service lines and customer segments using activity-cost- based tools with the objective of identifying uninformed pricing decisions and focusing marketing efforts on the most profitable product and service lines and customer segments.
Kirk has been an expert witness in both court and mediation proceedings. He has testified about lost profit claims, partnership profit and loss allocations amongst partners and the effects of proper capital account maintenance in determining the rights of partners in dissolution proceedings. His testimony in one court case regarding the statistical analysis of lost profits in an industry affected by international currency exchange rates helped reduce claims against a defendant from nearly $400,000 to $100,000.
Kirk particularly enjoys working with clients to elicit their vision, mission and strategic direction and then integrating the vision and strategy with the operations of the company. Making a difference in the success a company owner achieves is the ultimate high for Kirk.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) member
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting from Brigham Young University, Magna Cum Laude
- Master of Science in Taxation from Brigham Young University
- Sailing, running, biking, and hiking. He has explored both the San Juan Islands and the Gulf Islands in the Puget Sound between the State of Washington and British Columbia.
- Hiking with Boy Scouts in the Cascade and Olympic Mountains
- Working on home projects such as laying tile, slate, and wood floors in his home
- Raising with his wife five children from various backgrounds and ethnicities
- Providing leadership of a Spanish-speaking church congregation